Here is the festival of lights! You would nearly every house in India lighted up and nearly every Indian celebrating, for this is the festival that every Indian citizen awaits eagerly. Diwali is one of the most celebrated festivals in India, but not all of us know about this great fete. On the occasion of Diwali, we let you know top 10 facts about this festival! Here we go!
1. It is one of the largest and most famous festivals celebrated in India.
2. The festival is associated with the Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity – Lakshmi.
3. Diwali is also celebrated in Malaysia, by the name of “Hari Diwali”. It is done in the month of Aswayuja.
4. It is also celebrated in Nepal, as “Swanti” or “Tihar”. Yama, the God of death for Hindus, is worshipped on this day, for longer life of people.
5. In Hinduism, the festival is celebrated to mark the return of Lord Rama from a 14-year-long exile.
6. In South India, Diwali is celebrated marking the death of Narakasura by Lord Krishna.
7. However, otherwise considered bad, gambling during this festival is believed to bring prosperity and good luck in the coming year.
8. Diwali, actually, is celebrated over a period of 5 days, from late Ashwin to early Kartik.
9. In West Bengal and adjoining areas, Diwali as celebrated by worshipping goddess Kali.
10. It is believed that Lord Mahavira attained nirvana on the day of Diwali.
We hope you liked the aforementioned facts about Diwali. We wish everyone a very happy and prosperous Diwali 2012!